Documentation Needed for Your Loan
A successful mortgage application begins with gathering basic documents. For more details about this process, please watch this video.
- We want to help make this as easy as possible. If you have any questions, please reach out to us for help!
- Please organize your PDF documents in a single folder on your computer. When you’re ready, we will provide you with a link to easily upload your documents to a secure location online.
- We prefer documents in PDF format. Sometimes we can convert other file formats to PDF.
Here is the list of documents we need:
1. Personal ID and Credit
- A clear, close-up picture of your driver’s license OR your passport. The ID must be unexpired. We need this for every person who will be on the loan application. If you prefer, you can take pictures of your ID with your phone and text the photos directly to David Cary at (415) 924-4400
- Do you have a freeze on your credit? We need the freeze to be lifted with all three (3) credit bureaus for a period of 30 days. Please see: Experian | TransUnion | Equifax
2. Income Documentation
- 2021 & 2020 personal federal tax returns with all schedules and attachments. If you have not filed your 2021 return, we need your extension (IRS form 4868) and proof of taxes paid.
- 2021 & 2020 W2s (if applicable)
- Pay stubs to cover the most recent 30 days (if applicable)
- Social Security income? Please provide your most recent annual award letter
- Pension and/or annuity income? Please provide the most recent documentation confirming the amount
**** If you have not filed your 2021 return, we need your two most recent tax returns filed AND your 2021 extension (IRS form 4868) AND proof of taxes paid.
3. Business Income Documentation (if you own 25% of the business or more)
For each separate business entity (corporation / LLC) or trust:
- 2021 & 2020 federal tax returns with all schedules and attachments (IRS forms 1065 and/or 1120)
- 2021 & 2020 K1s (if any)
- Profit & Loss statement to cover the previous 3 months
- Business bank statements for the previous 3 month
**** If you have not filed your 2021 business tax return(s), we need your two most recent tax returns filed AND your 2021 extension AND proof of taxes paid.
**** If you are a sole proprietor (1099) and you report your business income on Schedule C of your personal tax returns, then we need just the Profit & Loss statement and business bank statements as above.
3. Financial Asset Documentation
- Bank account statements for the most recent two (2) periods.
- Investment (brokerage) account statements for the most recent two (2) periods.
- Retirement account statements (IRA, SEP IRA, 401k, etc) for the most recent two (2) periods, whether monthly or quarterly.
**** ALSO, please provide updated statements as they become available to you.
**** IMPORTANT – All financial account statements must include EVERY SINGLE page of the statement. The best way to do this is to download your statements in PDF format directly from your financial institution’s website.
**** You can leave out accounts with small balances and custodial accounts for minors.
**** We do not need your digital asset/crypto statements. So far, lenders do not accept digital assets as financial assets for the purpose of mortgage underwriting.
**** Please avoid screenshots. Lenders generally do not accept them. Statements need to show your name and account number just like the statements that would be mailed to you.
4. Real Estate Owned Documentation
For each and every property owned, provide copies of:
- A recent monthly mortgage statement (if any)
- The recent property tax bill
- Current homeowners insurance declaration page
- Recent HOA dues statement (if any)
- Complete copies of current leases / rental agreements (if any)
- If you recently sold any property, please provide the certified final closing statement (HUD-1)